Monday, September 2, 2019

Chapter 22: Pontianak & Singkawang, Indonesia

Assalamua'laikum wbt. & good day,

Hi! I am writing again after a long hiatus, probably because I am not used to take the flight back to this place at this time, since I usually take the evening flight that will touch down during sunset. The fare difference was quite huge since today is a public holiday replacement day. But then, this could be the best decision as well since I will be away again tomorrow for another business trip, so at least I have some time to pack for my stuff.

Life is quite good at this moment, with more and more people come into my life as well as go away from it. I have no more concern on this as I realized the fact that some people are meant to be part of the chapter of my life, and we can choose to remember the moments as sweet memories or lessons to be learnt. 

I just completed my #chapter22 of my abroad vacation, after #chapter21 during last year's Christmas. Going to the age of thirty years old this year, I choose not to do a very thorough planning and just to be flexible in spite of the fact that I may fail to achieve my target of been to 30 countries by age of 30. At this point of time, I have been to 26 countries and based on current leaves available, it is quite impossible for me to take even any short break in order to enable me to hit at least 27 countries. Nevertheless, the target is set by me and hence, I should forgive myself for unable to meet it. Life is still a long way to go, InshaAllah.

View along Kapuas River, Pontianak.
I went to Pontianak via Air Asia's direct flight from Kuching. It tooks me 45 minutes to arrive Supadio International Airport. The weather is quite hot as my nose was bleeding and that is the reason why my first day in PNK was mainly resting in my room and tour around Tanjungpura University at night. The temperature was around 33-35 degree C and I think Borneo soon will have its own summer too! 

I toured around Pontianak City on the second day by visiting Tugu Khatulistiwa, Aloe Vera Centre, Rumah Radakng, Tugu Digulis and Taman Arboretum Sylba Untan using both Grab and by walk. If you ask my honest opinion, the place is so average but at least I can indirectly learn about PNK through these places and from the people that I met. I paid 15000 IDR for Kapuas River Cruise (not that standard cruise like the one that I took while in Kotor or Bhosporus Strait) during sunset and Subhanallah, it was one of the best decisions that I took for this trip! The view was majestic and I managed to make one friend who is also love to travel and capturing moments.


Tugu Khatulistiwa/ Equator Monument, Pontianak

It took me 3 hours by car to Singkawang on the next day. I made the deal with one of the Grab drivers that I ride on previous day. Although the journey is quite long, the view along the journey was all villages and local houses. I passed by Mempawah and Tanjung Pinyuh on my way to Singkawang and tried the signature bakso at Singkawang for late lunch. The overall journey inclusive all the pit stops at some of the attractions such as Rindu Alam Peak, Singka Zoo, Tanjung Bajau Resort & Pasir Panjang Beach was almost 11 hours. It was quite exhaustive as the road was all single lane and it is quite challenging for the driver to over take. 

Tanjung Bajau Beach, Singkawang

This 4 days 3 nights short vacation to PNK is quite meaningful for me as I realized and becoming more convinced that managing a big countries with thousands islands is very challenging. The Singka Zoo for example, is quite a good place but due to low visitors and high maintaining cost, the place is so disorganize but luckily the fantastic view at Rindu Alam Peak cured my disappointment. Just like Kampung Terih in Batam, this place is manage personally without any assistance from their government. Personally,  I would suggest Taman Safari Bogor if you want to visit place of nature for its visitor friendliness among provinces of Indonesia that I have been to - Jakarta, Bogor, Bandung, Padang, Bukittinggi, Batam and PNK. 

After all, I am focusing more on exploring local this year after I realized that it is quite impossible to achieve my dream of been to 30 countries by 30 years old. :(

Where to next? :P

Till then, have a nice day. Wassalam.








No comments:

Post a Comment